Ski area manager James McKenzie said it was “hugely disappointing” to make the call not to open when all systems, lifts and staff were ready to go, but said it was a “good decision” to make.
“After encouraging early snowfalls in April and May, and an unprecedented 110 hours of continuous snowmaking over the past few days, we’ve got a viable snow base from the top of the Quad chair down to the base area but the forecast for Friday and Saturday is for quite a bit of rain,” he said.
“While temperatures are expected to drop again and further natural snow falls are forecast on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, Saturday’s just not looking good for opening,” he said.
“Our snowmakers have capitalised on light winds and very low humidity this week to create some really massive mounds of snow on our main trails, but we don’t want to groom these until the warm weather and rain has passed through.
“We’re looking forward to having guests come up here and enjoy opening day so we’re putting everything on hold until this next snowstorm has passed through and the weather improves.”
Mr McKenzie said everything was “poised and ready to go” on the mountain.
“The lifts are all ready including our new-look Triple Chair which has been tested, certified and signed off,” he said.
“We’ll be open the very first day we can.”