This overall objective has been formulated so that:
New Zealanders can be given the opportunity to experience and participate in one of our most worthwhile winter activities.
Growth in Snow Sports for all
To Advance the Development and Management of Snow Sports in NZ
- Professional Management
- Promotion Research
National Snowsports Organisations
The New Zealand Snowsports Council consists of five members:
- NZ Mountain Safety Council (NZMSC)
- NZ Snow Industries Federation (NZSIF)
- Ski Areas Association NZ (SAANZ)
- Ski Racing New Zealand (SRNZ)
- Snow Sports New Zealand (SSNZ)
- Injury prevention programme with ACC and NZMSC
- Liaise with the media
- Skills Active Shareholder
- Contribution to Snow Sports Award
- Research through SAANZ and NZSIF
- Promotions through SAANZ and NZSIF
Skiing and snowboarding are two of New Zealand's most popular winter activities for New Zealanders and overseas visitors alike.
This provides the tourism industry with excellent opportunities during the off season. The highest number of ski area visits recorded was in 2008 with 1,402,000 visits. For the past decade ski area visits have averaged over 1.2 million visits.
The industry has experienced growth due to investment in facilities, snowmaking and improved customer services.