Following the sign posts out of Wanaka toward the Crown Range towards Arrowtown and Queenstown. Turn right at the clearly marked entrance to the mountain road. The unsealed road winds generally across farm land and then up to the resort.
Drive time from: Wanaka 35 minutes (34km) Arrowtown 45 minutes (37km) Queenstown 60 minutes (58km)
Nearest airports to Cardrona Wanaka: 45 minutes (44km) Queenstown: 50 minutes drive (50km) Dunedin: 215 minutes drive (315km) Christchurch: 335 minutes drive (445km)
Click on the snowflake for more info or,
View the Cardrona Alpine Resort Location Map as a larger map
Phone: +64 3 4437341
Fax: +64 3 4438818
Snowphone: +64 3 4437341
Mail: PO BOX 117 Wanaka
Mid June to Early October
- 2 quad fixed chairlift
- 2 quad express chairlifts
- 2 surface conveyor learner lifts
- 1 platter beginner lift
- Lift capacity 10,000 people per hour
5 Groomers including, 2 pipe cutters and 2 winch cats.
32 fan guns throughout the Main Basin, Archadia Basin & Captain Basin. 22 SMI Puma snow guns on the Valley View trails.
Cardrona has the most extensice parks and pipes in any ski & board area in the country. Including;
- The Heavy Metal Zone which runs the length of the Whitestar Express on a purpose built terraced course.
- The Playzone which runs alongside the upper half of the Heavy Metal Trail the Playzone includes fun feature for a wider range of abilities.
- The Monster Big Air, located at the base of the Olympic Super Pipe. It is the main stadium jump for the Big Air competitions. This jump measures between 75-100+ft
Cardrona has 2 halfpipes, The International, and the Olympic superpipe. The Olympic superpipe plays host to elite level competitions. The International is Cardrona's original pipe and ideal for beginner, intermediate and old school riders.
The Cardrona Gravity Cross (GSX) course starts near the top of the Whitestar Express chairlift and extends into the All Nations trail. The race track is a fast flowing trail down the mountain and includes whoop do dos, sweepers, rollers, berms and jumps suitable for intermediate level riders to advanced.
Restaurants & Cafes
Cardrona has five cafés on the mountain.
- Base Café - serves a huge range of fast food and beverages, seating 300 people inside and another 180 in the courtyard outside.
- Upstairs in the base area is the licensed Mezz Café with a restaurant-style lunch, with excellent coffee. Seating 120 people.
- Beside the Base Café is the Juice and Java Bar which serves freshly made juices, smoothies and espresso type coffees.
- Dining slope-side is even better with a Noodle Bar including wide decks overlooking the slopes.
- On the other side of the mountain is the Captain's Pizzeria. Seating 240 inside and 80 outside on wide sunny decks.
Ski & Board Rental
Cardrona has a great range of the latest ski and snowboard gear for a great day out. Rent skis and snowboards including twin tips, Burton Learn to Ride snowboards, Performance skis and beginner skis at Cardrona. Hire up the mountain and have the option of dropping off in Wanaka or Queenstown at the end of your ski holiday.
Nursery & Kindy
Full child care from 3 months
- Cardrona's licensed early childcare centres cater for those aged 3 months to 4 years old. $82 per day. Booking essential.
- The Kindy is located in the "Nursery" Cardrona's original licensed Early Childhood Education Centre. Kindy is perfect for two - four year olds who prefer an indoor education programme rather than a skiing experience. $82 per day
- The Ski Kindy is a Licensed Early Childhood Centre for three & four year olds. The Ski Kindy provides an educational programme along with a ski experience. Your child will usually be provided with one ski lesson each day. $120 - $142 per day.
Limited number of chains - $20 or fitted for you $30.
Staff will fit your own chains for $15 or campers for $20 - 25
Average Snow Depth
SKI CARDRONA - THE FUN & FRIENDLY MOUNTAIN
Cardrona is located in the Crown Range only 60mins/58km easy drive, shuttle or bus trip from Queenstown and 35mins/34km from Wanaka. Cardrona is the largest ski area easily accessed from Queenstown with 20-35% more terrain on offer than its famous neighbours The Remarkables and Coronet Peak. With consistently good weather and reliable snow conditions Cardrona offers superb terrain spread across three main valleys.
Cardrona is renowned for being NZ's fun and friendly mountain and a natural choice for families, beginners and intermediates. The terrain at Cardrona helps make it an easy place to ski and perfect for those who are still learning how to schuss. Cardrona's famous learner's slopes have been redeveloped for the 2011 season making them larger and even more accessible thanks to a new state of the art surface conveyor lift. A beginner quad chairlift and the widest and most scenic learner trails in the region makes the ski resort a favourite with those new to the snow.
Cardrona leads the way in New Zealand for child and family friendly resorts with four dedicated Kids Centres, including two fully licensed early childcare centres for children aged from 3 months to 4 years. A wealth of information is provided for families on Cardrona's animated kids' website (www.cardrona.com/kids).
For the more adventurous Cardrona offers the most extensive terrain park facilities in New Zealand with two half pipes, a gravity cross and a range of beginner freestyle features. There really is something for everyone at this special mountain and the breathtaking views that stretch all the way from Queenstown to Lake Wanaka is icing on the cake.